Wednesday, August 20, 2008

America the Beautiful



This is one of my favorite quilts. It is called America the Beautiful from the Quiltmakers magazine. I couldn't find old issues of the magazine so many of the patterns I drafted myself.


When we moved to Des Moines (Iowa), it was required that I play an instrument. To determine which instrument suited you best the teacher had you sing. The song was America The Beautiful and I ended up with a flute.

I had this quilt professionally quilted by Jacquie Pohl. She is so creative. All I asked is that she quilt in the 3 state names where we lived. The blocks in the bottom row are called 'ocean waves' and she quilted the word 'Florida' in one wave. The 3rd row from the bottom is called 'amber waves of grain' (from the song) and 'Iowa' is hidden in that row. And finally in the brightest star, she quilted 'New York' as that is where my Mom is buried.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is absolutely beautiful and I can tell it is a real personal treasure for you.

lo