Thursday, August 14, 2008

What will I be when I grow up

A lot has happened over the last few weeks!

I was finally laid off. I say 'finally' because I have expected it for almost a year. For the last 7 months, I have been working from home doing technical documentation. Well, actually much of that time I wrote from our deck in Texas overlooking the Intercoastal Waterway or from the screened deck off our kitchen, so I can not complain too much.

But it was quite lonely working in a vacuum.

The day after everything with my old job was final, I started a consulting contract working with an old friend. It's a 2 or 3 month project; the people are great, the work is interesting and I feel a sense of accomplishment. I work in the office (in jeans) or from home (in jammies) when I want (I'm on a flat fee quote), so I am happy. Since we are going to Texas for 3 months this time, if my project gets extended, I will know enough to work remotely.

It's weird that both of us have been laid off from large companies in the last 9 months; it's the first time either of us has ever been unemployed for more than one day. We are so lucky - I can't imagine the feeling others go through when they can not find a job right away, especially if they have families to support and/or debt of any kind.

Some people have asked whether I regret not working for one company all these years, so I would have a company pension. Oh, a company pension would be nice in the years ahead, but I would rather do something I loved than be tied to a job that bores me just for a pension. I've been so lucky having jobs where I really had no 'boss' bossing me around. I did have a few clients that tried. One even used to wave her finger up to my nose and tell me I didn't know my job - I did - as long as my customers were happy and I made way more money than she did, it pissed me off, but effectively went in one ear and out 'the other end'). Enough rant. Overall my clients/customers over the years were terrific. And I wouldn't trade them or my past work for a pension any day.

Blaine will continue to work at the golf course next year and me...well, I will see how this contract turns out then decide what I want to be when I grow up. I have to work or do something constructive or I will go nuts.

No comments: