


The first year we ran Rockfest, Jerry Doucette (Mama Let Him Play) played our Member's deck and the main stage. He and his band were amazing. They stayed the week-end and rocked!
We later found out that Jerry was scheduled for back surgery. I thought it would be neat to give him a comfort quilt and I asked the rockers to sign greetings on strips of fabric. I decided to put them on the edges of the quilt instead of inside. Originally, they were going to look like piano keys, but I had too many strips and didn't want to leave any out. I actually only had to add 2.
I used music related fabric and others in black, white and red. The backing was a pieced guitar motif. Since the fabric was not wide enough, I had to sew strips together to make the backing. Trying to match the words and guitars was not fun and took forever, but looking at it, you would never guess it was pieced. (Yes, I am proud of the back!!).
After I put the quilt top together, MaryLou and Carol helped with the layout, borders and finishing.
It was given to Jerry in private, but he insisted on having it presented again on stage.
Jerry is the one on the right.
Making a quilt for Jerry and going out with Melanie Griffiths (then) step-brother...my two claims to 'fame'. LOL
No comments:
Post a Comment