Friday, October 17, 2008

Where there is a will, there is a way

Do you have a will? Is it up to date? It's not a pleasant thing to think or talk about but it has to be done.

Since we are leaving soon, we thought it best to update ours.

It's different when you have no kids and in my case not much family. My brother and his family certainly need nothing having benefitted from both sides parent's legacies.

If anything happened to one of us, then the other 'takes' all - that's a given.

But what happens if both of us go together?

Our primary concern is our pooch. Although we are taking Benson with us this year, if anything did happen to both of us, our housesitter, friend and Benson's dogsitter in the past has agreed to be his new Mom. He loves her and even though he's old, I know she will take the best care of him. That has to be in the will, along with the funds to be allocated to it. We didn't think of that last time.

And before, my Dad's money was to be given to Rockfest, so they could book a big act and get on their feet, but times change and so does the will.

So many things to think about.

Years ago, when we were still young and chipper (we still are, I might add) one of my BFFs asked me what I wanted if anything happened to her. Yup. I thought it was awful even thinking about it, but I decided that I wanted one of her books. A book her Mommy had written - it's about my BFF's grandmother, who was famous during the war.

So now I have started asking my friends and family if there is anything of mine that they wanted.

One friend wants my Mom's clock that is over 100 years old and my Mom's engagement ring. And she gets my old Pepsi sweatshirt that I wear to all the Rockfests.

Another would like my 30 year old Lord of the Rings boxed set, that I have never read. And another wants my first quilt and award winning wallhanging.

I know someone who loves my sandal quilt (yes, Sue, you can have it), so that goes on the list.

And so on....

(The contents of my quilt room, which Blaine would not want, are still up for grabs, I might add).

So if there is anything specific you would like, that is mine and not likely something Blaine would ever want, now is the time to tell me!!! Don't be shy.. You know me well enough to know I wouldn't ask you if I didn't want to know the answer.

Life is too short....UPDATE YOUR WILL...

Banana - be well...love ya.

1 comment:

Linda Mullen said...

One thing I'd like to enherit from you is not a book, it's not money, it's the gift of being so kind and gentle to people. I saw it first hand and you don't see many people now-a-days who are this way. My mom was like that too.

You're such a thoughtful person...