Monday, November 17, 2008

Julia's Quilt




This is my favorite quilt, made for my cousin Julia. I saw the quilt in a book and actually wrote the author who sent me the pattern! Thanks Sally Schneider.. I was making the quilt for me and then.......

Julia, who lives in Georgia, was scheduled to come to Maui with us, then found out a few weeks before we were to leave that she had Breast Cancer. She had a few procedures and was cleared to join us with the rest of her surgeries to be done on her return. I wanted her to have 'me' with her, and I knew she would love the quilt. It had hearts so she would know I loved her, stars to remind her of our time in Maui and yellow 'roads' as she LOVES the Wizard of Oz so I thought that the yellow could be the yellow brick road.

I hurried to finish the top and through the Internet found and 'auditioned' a quilter in Maui. I sent pictures and she wrote back what she would do with it. We landed at midnight and by 10:00 the next morning, I was at Kathy's so she could do her magic. I picked it up the day before Julia's plane landed and then sewed the binding by hand.

Julia loved it!

The weird thing about this quilt is that I, of course, stitched the label before Julia landed. A few days later, we noticed that the earrings she wore had the word 'Believe' on them.

She is better today....So BELIEVE...

No comments: